I just want to share some info from our recent P2V migration.
We have received 3140 error during offline P2V of Windows Server 2008 R2 (or Windows 7) using Virtual Machine Manager 2008 R2 SP1.
The progress bar stuck at 40% (step 1.3.1) with error 3140 without any description in VMM. When googling I’ve found the following link: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/virtualmachinemgrp2vv2v/thread/83cf649a-686a-4ecc-9aa0-bf005c7f9f53 . Per instructions I sent an email to Mike Briggs. However, Mike is no longer with the VMM Team but he go through the debug logs for me and find out that the final failure is “3140/80990C44” which translates to NETLOG_MSG_SHUTDOWN.
Finally i give up and ask Microsoft PSS for support, surprisingly the bug is quite simple: The boot image that VMM is using for offline conversion cannot fit into the 100MB default (classic install) system partiton [just a side note: the system partition is used for booting the system = boot sector, bootmgr, while the Boot partition contains Windows files]. In order to fix the issue:
- Open an elevated command prompt and run : bcdboot c:windows /s c:
- This will copy the required boot files to the C drive. Notice the hidden boot folder on the root of the C drive and also the bootmgr file.
- Set the C drive as active : You can do this from disk management or using diskpart
- Reboot the server
- Open disk management and make sure the C drive is marked as SYSTEM.
- Try the P2V process again and this time it should work fine
Obtained from this link http://www.rozmazat.cz/articles/2011/08/22/vmm-2008-r2-sp1-error-3140-when-trying-to-offilne-p2v-ws2008r2.html